This course will be delivered by Zoom video conference (link will be provided to confirmed delegates)
There is always a changing landscape where benefits are concerned, and this year’s updating session will keep you informed about the most pressing issues which may affect your clients.
This 3-hour Welfare Benefits Update session will give you detailed, up-to-the-minute practical information on all the main areas of benefits that affect your mediation clients.
You are also able to request coverage of issues that might be concerning you in advance of the course.
In particular, we will look at:
- The ever-vexing question about who should or must move to Universal Credit
- New, more stringent rules about job search requirements are now in place – check if your client is affected and how they can protect themselves
- Benefit rates are at their lowest in real terms for decades – we look at alternative sources of help if your client is struggling
- The way that earnings and capital are treated – how to check that UC is correct
- New news – the Government is consulting on changes to the civil legal aid means test, including the possibility of terminating UC as an automatic ‘passporting benefit’ to civil legal aid – we will look at the implications of this!
We can also look at case studies that may be vexing you, providing you let us have anonymised details in good time.
Date : Monday 11th July – 10.00am-1.00pm
Training facilitator: Jayne Knights, an experienced welfare rights expert who specialises in making the complicated benefits system understandable.
Jayne originally trained and qualified as a social worker, and then started as an advice worker in London before moving to Brighton and Hove City Council’s Welfare Rights team. There she undertook the full range of welfare rights work – training, publications, advice work and tribunal advocacy. She works with a wide variety of public, private and third sector clients, providing training, consultancy and casework. These clients include councils, housing associations, law firms and charities.
Read some testimonials from previous course delegates :
- ‘Excellent, the trainer had excellent knowledge and was keen to engage with the audience to establish their exact needs. She adapted training during the morning for specific requests.”
- “Very good. The trainer checked in regularly to ensure the level of detail provided was right for the group. I found the pace was spot on with time for questions and comments“
To book a place please complete the online booking form below