What happens to Child Benefit payments when we separate? - National Family Mediation

find your nearest mediation service

click here to view a full list
How Can We Help?






Parents / Parenting

Child / Teens


How Can We Help?
< Back
You are here:

Child Benefit is a payment you can claim for a child you are responsible for. Only one payment is allowed per child. Different rates are payable for the first child and subsequent children. The payment can be claimed by anyone who qualifies, whatever their income or savings.

When parents separate, if one is going to have more responsibility for care of the children they will usually keep the Child Benefit. In some cases, children will live with different parents and then you can each claim for the child you are responsible for.

Sometimes parents share care, and in those situations you can decide between you who will be the nominated parent for Child Benefit. This will generally tend to be the parent on the lower income. You will need to let the Benefit Office know that your circumstances have changed. Use this link to the gov.uk website for more about Child Benefit.

Find out more about child benefit and whether you qualify.


Previous How can family mediation help decide child maintenance payments?
Next Who gets the house in a divorce with children?
Table of Contents
Still can't find what you're looking for?
0300 4000 636