I don’t have parental responsibility. How do I acquire it? - National Family Mediation

find your nearest mediation service

click here to view a full list
How Can We Help?






Parents / Parenting

Child / Teens


How Can We Help?
< Back
You are here:

You can do this in two ways:

a) By entering into a written agreement with the mother on a prescribed form. This form has to be witnessed by a court official and is then sent to the Principal Registry of the
Family Division in London and sealed copies are returned to each parent.

b) By applying for a court order. The courts rarely refuse a father an order for parental responsibility particularly if he can demonstrate commitment towards the child by
contact and financial support.

Previous Do I have parental responsibility for my child?
Next I am a step-parent. Can I acquire parental responsibility?
Table of Contents
Still can't find what you're looking for?
0300 4000 636