How do I support my child financially after separation? - National Family Mediation

find your nearest mediation service

click here to view a full list
How Can We Help?






Parents / Parenting

Child / Teens


How Can We Help?
< Back
You are here:

When parents separate they both remain responsible for the care and financial support of their children. Most parents think it is important for the children’s lives to be affected as little as possible by the separation and for them to have a similar standard of living when they are spending time with each parent. The law takes this view too.

Sometimes this means that one parent gives the other a regular amount of money, known as child support or ‘paying maintenance’, to contribute towards for example maintaining a home with heat and light, providing food, school uniform and other clothes, paying for school materials and out of school activities, and generally ensuring that their health and welfare needs are met.

Previous Where do we start with finances now we are separating?
Next How do we negotiate financial support for our child after we separate or divorce?
Table of Contents
Still can't find what you're looking for?
0300 4000 636