Frequently Asked Questions

Please use the tabs below to search through our frequently asked questions, or alternatively, you can use our search form below.


I am a grandparent ... can I apply for residence or contact?

The terms residence and contact orders are no longer used. As a grandparent, you will need leave of the court to bring an application for a child arrangements order. You can only make an application if the court gives you permission.

You will need to attend a compulsory MIAM (Mediation Information Assessment Meeting) with a mediator to see if mediation is suitable. Mediation is a good way of helping you reach agreement about how you will see your grandchildren if you and the parents agree to attend.

Legal proceedings can be very stressful and expensive, and there is no guarantee of success, so reaching agreement in mediation can save you time and money, as well as restoring relationships.

Read more information for grandparents here

Click here to book an appointment with a mediator

Or contact us for more information by phone 0300 4000 636 or email [email protected]