Do we need to divorce at this stage? - National Family Mediation

find your nearest mediation service

click here to view a full list
How Can We Help?






Parents / Parenting

Child / Teens


How Can We Help?
< Back
You are here:

There are other options. You may come across a decree of judicial separation. This can be obtained on the proof of the same five facts as divorce but the decree of judicial separation
does not end the marriage – it just states that you can live separate and apart from each other.

It is sometimes used for religious reasons or where someone does not want a divorce yet they want access to the financial relief claims available.

The marriage could also be annulled. Nullity petitions bring an end to the marriage and the marriage can be treated as void or voidable. Financial relief is also open to the parties to nullity

If you do not intend to issue proceedings at this stage then it is possible to incorporate your proposals into a Deed of Separation. As long as there has been full disclosure and you have
received legal advice it is likely that any agreement you record will be upheld by the court at the time when the divorce goes through. If you are not married then your proposals can also be
incorporated into a Deed of Separation.

Previous What is the divorce process?
Next What happens if we are in a civil partnership?
Table of Contents
Still can't find what you're looking for?
0300 4000 636