Frequently Asked Questions

Please use the tabs below to search through our frequently asked questions, or alternatively, you can use our search form below.


Do we need to divorce at this stage?

There are other options. You may come across a decree of judicial separation. This can be obtained but the decree of judicial separation does not end the marriage – it just states that you can live separate and apart from each other.

It is sometimes used for religious reasons or where someone does not want a divorce yet they want access to the financial relief claims available.

The marriage could also be annulled. Nullity petitions bring an end to the marriage and the marriage can be treated as void or voidable. Financial relief is also open to the parties to nullity

If you do not intend to issue proceedings at this stage then it is possible to incorporate your proposals into a Deed of Separation. As long as there has been full disclosure and you have received legal advice it is likely that any agreement you record will be upheld by the court at the time when the divorce goes through. If you are not married then your proposals can also be incorporated into a Deed of Separation.