Drug and Alcohol Misuse

When parents separate, it can be very stressful for the children. It is common for children to say their parents don’t listen or even that they don’t care. This is unlikely to be true, it’s more likely that they are too pre-occupied with their own concerns that they seem to be missing yours.

At this time, children can also get involved in drug or alcohol misuse – this might be a distraction for them or a way of relieving stress or they might be very vulnerable right now to peer pressure. Often children are worried about losing friends when their family is in turmoil so will do more than usual to stay popular. If any of this is true for you, it might help to talk to someone. Even though your parents might be distracted right now, they will want to know what’s happening for you. If you don’t feel you can get them to listen, talk to another adult who might be able to help.

Check your local area for Alcohol/Drug Support and Advice Services. You can Talk to Frank for friendly advice. This website will help you understand the drugs you are taking. It may help to talk to your GP as a referral to other agencies could be easier this way.

NFM is a network of professional family mediation providers based in England and Wales that work with families affected by relational breakdown.

If you would like to get more information about mediation and/or make an appointment you can contact NFM direct on 0300 4000 636 or you can also contact a NFM family mediation provider in your area.

All services also take referrals from Solicitors, the court or other helping / support agencies.

Head office opening hours:

9.30 am - 4.30 pm, Mon - Fri

Charity No: 1074796

Privacy Policy


Contact Us

Current Vacancies

National Family Mediation

Civic Centre, Paris St, Exeter EX1 1JN

Tel: 0300 4000 636

FaceBook Facebook

Twitter Twitter

You Tube You Tube


NFM logo

Help and support or separated familes