How Your Housing May Be Affected

On relationship breakdown, dividing up your finances and property can be very complicated. Your circumstances will be unique and it is important to take independent legal advice at an early stage to preserve your interests.

On divorce, the court has power to make a number of different orders: spousal maintenance, lump sums, property adjustment orders and pension sharing orders. The court does not usually make orders for child maintenance. If no agreement is possible between you regarding the level of child maintenance, you can apply to the Child Support Agency/Child Maintenance Service in cases where the payer’s income is less than £104,000 net per annum or £156,000 gross per annum depending on which organisation is appropriate.

If you are unmarried, the court will apply property law to any property owned by you or to which you may have an interest. Property law does not operate on the same basis as family law, which applies to divorcing couples. If you have children, capital orders can be made under Schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989, but the capital will need to be repaid at a later date.

National Family Mediation (NFM) is a network of professional family mediation providers based in England and Wales that work with families affected by relational breakdown. All providers aim to help clients achieve an outcome that works best for them and their family.

If you would like to get more information about mediation and/or make an appointment you can contact NFM direct on 0300 4000 636 or you can contact a NFM family mediation provider in your area.

All services also take referrals from Solicitors, the court or other helping / support agencies



Head office opening hours:

9.30 am - 4.30 pm, Mon - Fri

Charity No: 1074796

Privacy Policy


Contact Us

Current Vacancies

National Family Mediation

Civic Centre, Paris St, Exeter EX1 1JN

Tel: 0300 4000 636

FaceBook Facebook

Twitter Twitter

You Tube You Tube


NFM logo

Help and support or separated familes